Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Well after the vacation, the heat wave and the dought, the gardens are suffering. I have watered for three days, plus one day of rain and another day of rain on the way.

List of possible victims to the neglect/weather - the hydrangea in the pool area and the one I purchased for the front garden. Joe Pye plants may also be lost. A few others are on the critical list - no pictures just to sad to see. Don't know if I will have much time in the next couple of weeks to do much gardening but hopefully by the end of August I will be back at it and will be able to purchase some replacements and finish the front garden. Two steps forward, one step back.

Front page of the local paper today has a story on how the dry weather is affecting the trees in the area (very stressed).

http://www.burlingtonpost.com/news/article/112730

2 comments:

Needles said...

I'm going to check in my Lois Hole books to see if Joe Pye is tough enough to make it through the heat wave. Some things are, some aren't.

We still have at just over 3 inches of rain at home, though the city has had tons. The clouds split and go north and south of the park (Elk Island). Back on the farm, they were looking at wonderful crops - they've had great rainfall, but the heat of the last couple weeks, pretty much took care of things. Wheat, barley etc. don't grow deep roots when its too wet and suffer worse than if they go through a drier spring.

dr

dmd said...

This is the worst I remember seeing around here, some trees have half their leaves turning, several maples are showing signs of colour. Very little green grass. While we were away the temps were consistenly in the upper 80s - 90s with high humidity and no cloud cover.

The good news is the Joe Pye weed were my smallest plants, just $2.75 each so if lost no great damage - except to my ego. The new Hydrangea - Quick Fire Hydrangea has lost all its new foliage and the flowers are brown but the branches have some flexibility so I will cut it back and hope for next year. It blooms and new growth so it might be OK.

Just 100 millimeters of rain in three months (40% of average). Like you the storms skip over my area heading east over Niagara or towards Toronto, in the summer we are shielded by the escarpment, missing some of the rain that is received just a few miles away.

Here is was a wet spring that hurt farmers now a dry summer for those who do not irrigate.