Wednesday, May 07, 2008

While the nice spring weather continues and I have the time, went to the garden centre to purchase some additional plants. Wanted to try some new plants behind the pool (never ending search for dog hardy plants) and add a few plants to the front.

Double clicking on the pictures will enlarge them to full size.
Was thrilled to find this Rhododendron Lepidote 'Blue Baron' the colour is just magnificent. Took a few pictures in case it doesn't survive - looks great now though.

Also added two Helleborus 'Royal Heritage, since I have been so enamoured of the plant I bought last year.

Behind the pool I added a Kalmia latifolia 'Peppermint', this is a replacement as the last one did not make it through the heat of the summer - I have changed locations and put the new plant in an area with more shade.

Also added a Holly 'Berri-Magic' for the opposite corner - thought it might be big and tough enough to withstand the dog - I choose a variety that it male and female on one plant.

The other addition was three small Paxistima canbyi Unique plant, I was having a hard time telling where the plants were planted as this is one of the last areas to emerge in the spring as it is shaded so much that the snow melts slowly. I had never heard of this plant before but it seems lovely - the test is can it survive the dog.


At the other end of the pool I added two Tanacetum 'Robinson's Mix' which I had at the old house and really enjoyed - nice to have a cutting flower early in the year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That Rhody is lovely. It should do fine - they're very tough plants. Although now I'm remembering that we lost one for some unknown reason after a few years, and this is rhody country...The holly should do well too. The others I haven't heard of - hope you post pic as they grow over the summer.

mostlylurking